Sunday 30 August 2015

Poulet Yassa and some rambling...


How do working wives and mother do it? I mean really? I really want to know. Actually - let me rephrase...How do mogul wives and mothers do it?  I have been working so very hard building the brands, being a wife and mother and I honestly cannot remember my name a lot of the time. I have decided to ramble on the blog now and again and see if that provides some relief....

Now on to Chicken Yassa .....

This is a dish that is very very common in Senegal and The Gambia. Some websites even claim that it is the national dish of Senegal. I stumbled on this dish when I was searching for recipes to use up an over enthusiastic purchase of onions. This dish gets its flavor from a lot of onions. I mean a lot of onions. Some would say an obscene amount of onions. It also uses lemon juice which is not a very common ingredient in meat dishes here in Nigeria. I tried one of the more popular versions of this recipe and decided I like it enough to tweak the recipe and voila...a new family favorite.

To make Chicken Yassa that feeds 4 people, you will need:
  • 1 chicken cut into 8 pieces
  • 6 large onions - thinly sliced
  • 2 yellow or red scotch bonnet peppers - finely diced
  • Juice from 4 large lemons
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 cup green olives
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
  • 2 stock cubes
  • Salt & black pepper to taste
Directions:
  • Add all the ingredients except for the oil, mustard and olives to a bowl and mix together. Marinate overnight in the fridge
  • Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade and grill or fry until brown and set aside. Save the marinade
  • Heat the oil in a large pot . Remove the onions from the marinade and add to the pot cooking until they begin to brown - about 10 minutes. 
  • Add the rest of the marinade and the browned chicken pieces to the onions and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the mustard and olives and cook until chicken is cooked through. 
  • Add salt and pepper to taste and serve with rice, yam or potatoes.
Enjoy!!!

6 comments:

  1. Really nice one Uzo... I'm trying this one out today..looks like I will have to use yellow mustard (lack of the Dijon one in my end).
    How about a video for your Yassa? I know..you were just wondering how working moms do it? We just keep Performing whatever magic we perform.
    Thanks for d great and realistic way you cook on EL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Uju. Thank you very much for your kind words and for watching...:-)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your great post. Your post is really valuable and help me a lot. Waiting for your next similar post.
    Software Gestion Restaurante

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great way to use that website.I really like your idea for a book club.Please keep us posted about how it goes.
    Cook at easy weight watcher recipes foods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like an excellent recipe. I have not tried this kind of food before. I will try this out today, will share with you how it tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jobs of the house wives is difficult but very few accept it. But i appreciate to those working women who are dong a job and also managing thier home, family and kids. They are seriously doing the best job of the orld.

    ReplyDelete