Wednesday 11 October 2017

Coconut Greens



It's amazing how a bad food experience can taint an ingredient in your mind and make you unwilling to give it a try again. This used to be the case with my relationship with greens. When I was younger, greens were typically served in soups and if my mother did not make that dish, the vegetables would be soggy and just mushy. I have issues with mushy super smooth textures so this invariably made me dislike greens. Intensely. 

Now that I am older and more conscious of eating a balanced diet, and the fact that I grow a lot of greens in my garden, I have had to find ways to make greens more appealing to eat.

This super easy recipe is delicious and quick so the greens retain their form and crunch. The addition of coconut milk adds a whole different flavor profile that is really really out of this world.

To make enough for 2 side dishes or 1 very generous portion, you will need:

  • Olive oil (any oil of your choice will work)
  • 1 small chopped red onion
  • 1 clove chopped garlic
  • 1/2 chopped habanero or scotch bonnet pepper (more or less to taste)
  • 1/2 seasoning cube
  • 2 cups mixed greens - fluted pumpkin leaves (ugwu), kale, swiss chard, amaranth (tete), spinach etc
  • 1 can coconut milk
In a large pot, add enough olive oil to cover the base of the pot. Add onions, garlic and chilies and fry for about 2 minutes. Add the seasoning cube and mix well. Add the greens and stir well to combine all the ingredients. Cook for about 3 minutes and add the coconut milk. Stir and cook for another 2 minutes and take off the heat.

Serve on its own or as an accompaniment to rice, potatoes, chicken, fish or steak.

Enjoy!!! 







3 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing this i really really love your post because its so impressive. keep posting more
    Hiking Boots

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice work you done .I just found a website where you find and download all kind of software just like getintopc.

    ReplyDelete