I think its pretty ironic that I don't have much of a sweet tooth given the fact that I run a bakery.
My weakness lies with crunchy salty things. Crispy French fries, potato or vegetable crisps, cheese curls, corn chips ...... you get the idea. This near obsession with crunch means I have to have that textural element in most foods I have. I have been know to put crisps inside my sandwiches. This gets me a lot of odd looks but I am used to those....
This addiction is an unhealthy one. I know that. I have been working on making better food choices in the last year and I can finally satisfy my addiction at home and with a few substitutions, make this healthier.
To make your own crunchy, crispy snacks, you will need:
- A mix of: white potatoes, sweet potatoes, parsnips, turnips, beets etc. You can choose 1 or mix in any combination you like.
- Olive oil to coat
- Salt and cinnamon powder to taste
- Peel and slice your vegetables as thinly as possible. I find this is easier with a mandolin slicer. Please use the guard that comes with the slicer. These gadgets are very very sharp - I learnt that the hard, painful way
- Lightly coat the slices with olive oil and spread in a single layer on a baking sheet
- Bake in oven set at 350 degrees F till crispy. This should take about 30 minutes if the slices are very thin.
- Season with salt and cinnamon powder and enjoy