Friday 13 March 2015

Mango & Coconut Cupcakes with Lime Whipped Cream Topping



I am dreaming of a holiday. Not just any old holiday. I am dreaming of white sandy beaches, clear blue skies, bathing suits and sarongs, ridiculously colored drinks with umbrellas – on a Caribbean island far, far away.

Since I will not be taking a holiday anytime soon (with the number of hats I wear, I can only pray for a break at some point), I figured I could bring a taste of the Caribbean close to home and satisfy my sweet cravings at the same time. There is no flavor more synonymous with the Caribbean than coconut. Papayas and mangos tie for second place in my opinion so I went into mad scientist mode and decided to play around with these flavors in cake. The papaya (pawpaw) experiment was a hot mess. Mushy and nasty. I shudder just thinking about it. Using mangos however, success. The result of this experiment are cupcakes that are not too sweet, full of tropical flavor and topped with light as air whipped cream with bursts of citrus flavor from grated lime zest – the Caribbean in your mouth.

To make 18 cupcakes, you will need:
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup melted and cooled unsalted butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/3 cup liquid full cream milk
  • 1 cup peeled, chopped ripe mango
Frosting:
  • I cup whipping cream
  • 1/2 cup icing sugar
  • 1 teaspoon lime zest
Directions:
  • Pre heat oven to gas mark 3
  • Line muffin tin with muffin liners and set aside
  • In a bowl, mix flour, coconut, baking powder and salt
  • In another bowl, whisk sugar, butter and eggs until smooth. Add flour and milk and beat until smooth. Add mango and stir to combine. Do not over mix
  • Scoop batter into muffin liners – fill liners about 3/4 to the top.
  • Bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until golden brown and tops of cupcakes spring back when lightly touched.
  • Let cool completely and make frosting
  • Add whipping cream, icing sugar and lime zest into a mixing bowl and whip till stiff. An electric hand mixer or stand mixer will make this frosting in a short period of time
  • Top cooled cupcakes with whipped cream frosting and serve.
Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment