Friday 1 August 2014

Zesty Corn Salad

I love salads. The more interesting the better for me. I also like to have some form of vegetables with every hot meal but ever since I got married, I have had to be even more creative with the choice of vegetables since my husband balks at the sight of too much foliage on a plate. I have also had to re-train his palate and get him used to salads that are not smothered in creamy dressing.
 
This corn salad is inspired by the many variations I have seen at buffets of hotels and restaurants in different countries. Just a lot tastier.
 
I would love to use fresh corn for this salad every time I make it however, corn is seasonal here in Nigeria and the species here can be hard and will take all the fun out of this salad. Imported sweet corn cobs are available in some stores but they can be pricey, look weird, be frozen or just not available.
 
Canned corn kernels work wonderfully and it is perfectly acceptable to use. I almost always have several cans of corn in my stash and they are pocket friendly too. The addition of a just a few other vegetables ,makes this salad healthy and colorful. What takes this salad to a whole new flavor level is the dressing. No creamy anything here. Citrus juices, paprika and cilantro keep this salad refreshing.
 
I have this salad fresh out of the fridge as is. Or with some leftover chicken. You can grill some prawns or fish and serve with this - so delicious. You can also have this as a side with rice or potatoes. Healthy, colorful and delicious.
 
To make about 4 servings, you will need:
  • 1 can whole corn kernels
  • I ripe avocado. Flesh scooped out and cut into small chunks'
  • 1/2 small red/white onion - diced finely
  • 8 cherry tomatoes - each cut into half. Regular firm tomatoes can be used as well
  • Cilantro leaves to taste. I have used African Basil/scent leaf/efinrin/nchawun which I have growing in my back yard when I don't have cilantro available
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 tablespoon fresh lime juice 
  • 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • Salt to taste

 
 
 
 
 
In a bowl, add the corn, avocado, onions and tomatoes
 
In a separate bowl, combine the olive oil, lime and lemon juices and paprika. Taste and add salt as needed. Add the cilantro and pour dressing over the vegetables. Stir well and ensure salad is coated with dressing.



Note to self: clean dish before taking pictures...


Enjoy!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment