Friday 12 September 2014

Not Your Average Fruit Salad

I have major issues with mushy food and squishy textures.
 
The thought of all that weirdness in my mouth just grosses me out. Which is why I loathe fruit salad. All that moisture and softness. *shudder*
 
Since I started my weight loss journey a few years ago, I know all too well that fruits are vital to my success. It gets so boring crunching apples or grapes all the time and while I love blending all the mushy fruits I don't like, sometimes I just want to chew. You know that feeling right?
 
I decided to play around with ways to make fruit salad different, yummy and not squishy so I can have more fruit in my diet, let the hubby have fruit salad which he loves and let my little man expand his food repertoire.
 
The addition of crunchy elements makes a world of difference and playing around with plain and flavored yogurt takes fruit salad from blah to give me more'' territory.
 
To make this interesting fruit salad, you will need
  • A mix of fruits of your choice. Seeing as budgets must be considered in my book, I use the common, pocket friendly ones: seeded and chopped watermelon and pawpaw (papaya) and peeled pineapple.
  • Cashew nuts - I love cashew nuts and they don't break the bank. I have used almonds and some expensive macadamia nuts (that I got as a gift) but cashew nuts are still my favorite to use
  • Toasted coconut flakes - the local type that costs about N200 for a small tub
  • Plain /greek style yogurt. I use vanilla low fat yogurt sometimes as well

 
 
 
 
Directions:
  • Add all the fruit and nuts in a bowl and stir to combine. Use as little or as much of each ingredient as you prefer
  • Add the yogurt a little at a time. The yogurt should just coat the fruit and nuts and not become a pool of white stuff at the bottom of the bowl

 
  •  Serve chilled
 
Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment