I had another opportunity to cook on air and be a guest on The Spot on EbonyLifeTv (Channel 165 on DSTV) and as usual it was a fabulous experience.
If you have never caught The Spot, I urge you to. Its a largely unscripted show hosted by Lamide Akintobi, Zainab Balogun and Ebuka Uchendu and while it is different from the regular tv fare, its pretty smart and addictive.
This time, my brief from the producer was a healthy, nutritious, filling meal that was pocket friendly but yummy as well.
(Just before we started shooting)
I decided to prepare boiled ripe plantain with a smoked fish and vegetable sauce.
To feed 4 people, you will need:
- 4 ripe plantains - assuming one per person
- 1 cooking spoon of flavourless oil - I prefer canola oil
- 1 large red onion - finely chopped
- 4 large tomatoes - finely chopped
- 1 yellow scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 stock cube
- 3 large smoked fish (I used mackerel) - skinned, deboned and flaked
- 2 cups red whole crayfish - heads and tails removed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground crayfish
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 bunches of ugwu (pumpkin leaves) - washed and rough chopped
- Salt to taste
- Cut each plantain into 3 pieces and place in a pot with salted water
- Boil until cooked through
- Heat oil in a large saucepan
- Add onions, tomatoes and scotch bonnet pepper
- Saute until translucent
- Add stock cube, ground crayfish and cayenne pepper and cook for another 5 minutes stirring constantly
- Add the smoked fish and red crayfish with a cooking spoon of water
- Add salt to taste
- Once the sauce is quite dry, add the ugwu, stir very well to incorporate all ingredients and turn the heat off
- The steam will cook the vegetables just enough to be cooked through but still have crunch
I also made an Amstel Malta milkshake which is so easy to make and so delicious as well.
To fill 4 glasses, you will need:
- 3 cans of chilled Amstel Malta
- 1/2 cup of dried skimmed milk
- 12 strawberries
- Add all the ingredients into a blender. Blitz till smooth. Pour into glasses and serve immediately